Thread: Messaging and Chat needs improvement, pls (for our sake and yours)

Hybrid View

Messaging and Chat needs improvement, pls (for our sake and yours)

I've seen the exact same implementation in several other games, so I'm betting that the slide-out messaging/chat tab is a built-in, out-of-the box feature of Unity, and maybe you guys can't change it without their help. Nonetheless, it's really not a good UX...

It might be more usable on an iPad or other larger screened devices, but it's awful on an iPhone 4s. I've had this complaint on other games too. Regardless of screen size, it's still a poor UX because:

Chatting and PM'ing is a separate activity from actually playing the game. There's no reason to only use 1/3 of the screen to display chat and messages. Having the Barracks or any other screen taking up more than 2/3 of usable screen real estate when users have elected to chat makes no sense. There's nothing that users need to monitor in this game. It's needed in MMO's where users need to chat while battling, but we don't need it here. Not yet anyway, but let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

The use case applicable the vast majority of the time is:
    1. I'm waiting to fighters to train. I wonder if there's anything happening in chat.
    2. Go to chat (No need to monitor my training, I'll get a notification when my fighters are ready)
    3. Engage in chat, send friend requests, challenge people to duels, whatever. It'll be a lot easier and users are much more likely to engage if they can see more chat history without scrolling. That is what you want, right? Chat is not very active at this point. As training times increase, you really want players to have something to do *other* than put the game down and come back in x amount of time and, more likely, get distracted and *not* come back until much later.

Another, now sadly defunct game I played a few years ago had full-screen chat and the chat was incredibly vibrant. There were many times that I spent as much time in chat as I did actually playing the game in a given hour of play time. Again, as players level up and wait times are longer, there is a great need to give players a way to stay engaged and not walk away.

And if you can't tell, I am literally in love with your fantastic game. I want it to succeed. I want you guys to have the revenue to keep improving. A better chat UX will keep players engaged! I almost guarantee it.

Cheers.

On the forums, I'd love if the newest posts were displayed right on the front page or something.

Also I can't seem to post pictures here

Hey Gartacus-- try using the "What's New" button on the header between "Forum" & "Blogs." That's usually the first place I go where I arrive here.

Matt-- you've got some very interesting points, and I don't think we've given a ton of thought to improving the Chat UI yet, so this is a good start. I've also seen some nice integration of forums into apps as well, so improving the experience of both of these is something we'll be looking into in the future. We've still got a number of features we want to add first, but we'll definitely keep these in mind.

As for getting pictures in-line into posts, I still can't figure that out myself, so we'll see what can be done to improve that...

Quote Originally Posted by DanHaney View Post
    Hey Gartacus-- try using the "What's New" button on the header between "Forum" & "Blogs." That's usually the first place I go where I arrive here.
    Awesome Dan, thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for