Thread: Problems with the new attack implementation

Problems with the new attack implementation

I'm not sure who thought there was anything with the old way of doing things, but the new way is giving me fits after a couple hours of trying to get used to it. I'm not alone according to in-game chat.

The AI default choice is not always of even often what I want. Moving the camera to try to adjust to select the fighter - esp on a small iPhone 4s screen - often results in triggering (whatever attack the AI thinks) on whichever fighter happens to be nearest my finger.

Is there ANY chance of switching back to the old way? There was nothing wrong with it. Tap desired fighter. Tap desired attack. Select target (I used the icons. Never made any mistakes). Visual confirmation that the desired target is selected and the desired attack is selected. Go! It was perfect!

Anyone else?

P.S. When do I get to be a senior member? ;-)

Hey Matt, really appreciate the feedback. I can agree with the AI default choice not always being the correct move to make. Phoenix is a great example, it always wants to default to firestorm even if it's not primed. BUT after sitting down with it for a wee bit, you really see that its a way more efficient way to battle. Of course we're always in a state of constant refinement, so please keep the suggestions and comments coming.

More feedback, another use case...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluudev View Post
    Hey Matt, really appreciate the feedback. I can agree with the AI default choice not always being the correct move to make. Phoenix is a great example, it always wants to default to firestorm even if it's not primed. BUT after sitting down with it for a wee bit, you really see that its a way more efficient way to battle. Of course we're always in a state of constant refinement, so please keep the suggestions and comments coming.
    Ok, as instructed, I'm keeping the comments coming. You all have done a spectacular job! This change however, is really giving me fits of frustration. And I know it's not all about me. I am thinking about players of all levels...

I've put quite few hours into the new system on both an iPhone 4s and an iPad, my feedback remains essentially the same and I'll add some more detail:

It wasn't broken before. Were you getting complaints? We're all used to it and I'd argue that it is LESS intuitive for new users. Nothing can be more clear than the selected target being highlighted in two places and the ability button changing to "Go!" This is a confirmation that everything is as you want it before you commit.

I'll go one step further and point out that a separate, deliberate "fire" button is convention in every game I've ever played with every type of controller from KB & Mouse to PS & XBox to touch screens. Looking around is one thing with one control mechanism. Targeting is another thing with a separate control mechanism. Firing is a third thing with its own control mechanism - a distinct button in every case I can think of. Mixing the all three is very likely to confuse and frustrate players of all levels.

I hear what you and HolyT are saying about efficiency, but I would definitely prefer a few more taps for total certainty vs fewer taps and uncertainty or in many cases, triggering an undesired action. The new camera action with acceleration looks and feels cool for demo/looking around purposes, but it does not help with regard to game play and selecting a target. We (or I, anyway) often need to check our options before committing to a target and action. Depending on the camera's position and the relative positions of the teams, I very often end up triggering the undesired attack when I'm just trying to asses my options. Between increased sensitivity and acceleration, targeting has gotten harder, not easier.

The Inigo situation is just one example. Shahman Koh is really a challenge. I need to check his health, the health of the possible target and the health of the other team members on both sides before committing to either of his abilities. None of those was ambiguous or difficult to check with the old system. It's very difficult now, particularly on a smaller screen. It takes way longer because I have to be so slow and careful and deliberate vs. muscle memory of the old way. And I still trigger the undesired actions when I'm being careful. Really a bummer in later rounds when health is a critical factor for all six players!

I appreciate that you and HolyT have adjusted and I'm trying, but it's very frustrating when I kill my Shaman Koh because the AI selected Chi Blast (the default, almost always wrong with my strategy) and I triggered it when I was trying to check enemies health.

Let me know if I'm beating a dead horse. If it's a massive engineering challenge to go back to the old way I'll try harder to adapt and adopt. But if it's not that hard, I beg you to change it back and honestly think it will be better for players of all levels.

Cheers,

E
    Last edited by Matt A-Row; 07-11-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Several weeks later...

I still absolutely hate the new controls. They are un-intuitive and violate the established standard of every game I've ever played on any platform for my whole life. Selecting a target and firing are two separate, distinct actions. I've never played any game where there was not a distinct "fire" button. I am constantly frustrated because I can't select/fire at the desired target. It's especially frustrating in Alliance horde battles with >3 enemies on screen. Sometimes it works to tap the actual enemy, other times I tap the arrow on the ground in front of the target - several times and it still doesn't fire. iPhone, iPad, it doesn't matter, ~10% of the time, I have to tap the screen several times to get the desired thing to happen; 5% or more of the time, an undesired thing happens. Neither is good.

Question: Who said it was broken before?

I *never* made a mistake or had any trouble selecting a target and firing with the old system. Now, both of those things happen every single playing session, usually within 5-6 battles.
    Last edited by Matt A-Row; 08-29-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Hey Matt--

The original reason for the change was to try and speed up battles by many factors of clicks each battle. We tested the basic implementation and liked it, so decided to stick with it. At this point it's also integrated into how the game AI functions, so there's no quick fix to revert back or add a toggle. If we continue to get feedback, it is something we can revisit, but really yours is the only voice asking for this. We're currently in the process of adjusting all the character hit boxes so they extend into the ground, which will make selection a lot easier in some cases. Currently tapping on a character's body will give you the best result, but after the next update, tapping at the base by the selection reticle will also be supported.

dh