Thread: 1.34 Update - Veterans and New Players

Hybrid View

1.34 Update - Veterans and New Players

Let me start by saying that this is not a complaint. It's feedback, as requested. I will also preface the whole thing by saying one more time that the change to First Strike was a brilliant fix that I would not have thought of. Spectacular idea. In my opinion, the problem was almost perfectly fixed. All we needed was fine-tuning. Either reduce the buff itself *or* only maybe only allow 2 stacks. Or something like that. See how that played out. Get feedback from players and tweak iteratively.

Instead, "Many sweeping changes to abilities, items, and status effects have been implemented".

I will admit that I am a huge fan of Weaken. I spent hundreds of hours upgrading ~15 items to Bone Charm. There was at least one fighter with Bone Charm on every team I had. That's a major investment of my time and it's going to take even more time to replace them all because, as a result of this change, it's a lot harder to acquire World Event tokens. I lose fighters and sometimes entire teams in World Events. Alliance battles are way harder without stacked buffs and weakening Bosses substantially.

Ok. I'm at the top of the leader board. All 51 fighters are elite and (were) well equipped. I'll be fine. I have a new thing to work on. Believe it or not, it's refreshing to lose an fighter or two to AI. But that only applies to me, Silhouette and maybe Jooje.

Here is my real concern:

For everyone else, from the top twenty with several elites, to a mid-level player with a few 3rd evolution, level 40 fighters and especially to someone who is just starting now, the game got orders of magnitude harder. Everything you need to advance in the game is A.) much harder to acquire; B.) way less of an advantage than is was previously and C.) now it'll only work 50% or less of the time

Multiple new players have asked for my advice over the last 6 months. The previous recommendation was to buy the Wolf Pack and Dragon Pack or grind enough WE tokens to to buy the wolf, evolve it to Sabreclaw, buy Infernus, add either Scorch or a fighter with Battery II. That team was the key to finishing all the campaigns, maximizing WE farming, and winning the vast majority of arena battles - thus acquiring the much needed Orbs to level up fighters, do better in World Events, rinse and repeat.

I have no idea what to recommend to a new player today. The route that all of us took to advance in the game is no longer there. There are no more OP teams. The most damage I can do in a round is ~1K whether it's area attack or individually. Ok, Shaman Koh gets more than that, but only near the end. And my opponent is coming back at me with 50%-75% extra attack that I cannot weaken significantly if at all. Again, for me it's probably good thing that the game is harder and I have to rethink my strategy and grind out 10K worth of powder to replace all my Bone Charms.

But what path would YOU recommend to someone who is just starting or at that mid-level, not-quite-strong plateau?

Big devastating, dramatic combos went from round 3 to round 7-8 or more, to not nearly as devastating ever. The whole concept/strategy of building up to a strong combo is gone. Buffs went from OP to almost insignificant. Weaken x2 or 3 used to cripple opponents for 1 action. There were varying degrees. Injury often prevented healing. But not always. Now, maybe you'll get injury that reduces healing by half, probably not. But it's never gonna be more than 50%. At best you're going to have 50/50 chance to apply a 25% weaken? If you just killed an opponent, they're coming back at you with 50-75% more attack. How will low to mid-level players get Orbs? They're gonna lose most of the time in the Arena...

I'm fine. I'll grumble as usual but I have a HUGE advantage and I am the most capable of adapting. Are these changes doing anything to attract new and retain old players?

There is only one thing to recommend to new players, his initials are FK

You make a number of good points, Matt, but here's what stood out most to me:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt A-Row View Post
    Multiple new players have asked for my advice over the last 6 months. The previous recommendation was to buy the Wolf Pack and Dragon Pack or grind enough WE tokens to to buy the wolf, evolve it to Sabreclaw, buy Infernus, add either Scorch or a fighter with Battery II. That team was the key to finishing all the campaigns, maximizing WE farming, and winning the vast majority of arena battles - thus acquiring the much needed Orbs to level up fighters, do better in World Events, rinse and repeat.

I have no idea what to recommend to a new player today. The route that all of us took to advance in the game is no longer there. There are no more OP teams.
    I LOVE that there is no sure-fire go-to strategy right now, no One Team To Rule Them All. We've argued many times in the studio that imbalance/OP fighters are good for a game, so there's a good chance that we will be revisiting some of these decisions. But my hope is that the balance will be beneficial long-term and add more variety to strategies and team building.

I also loved stacking Weakens and Buffs and Exposes, but you have to admit, attacking and dealing zero damage due to Weaken is never fun. Having Silhouette win on turn 3 with hyper-buffed Infernus/Scorch was fun for no one but him. Playing with healers in a game where healing could be completely nullified was not fun. So it's hard for me to think these changes won't be positive.

We are settling down in terms of big sweeping changes or new systems (though we still have a few wrenches we can throw into the gears), and will hopefully be adding some fresh players into the mix, so we'll see how the new meta develops and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by DanHaney View Post
    You make a number of good points, Matt, but here's what stood out most to me:

I LOVE that there is no sure-fire go-to strategy right now, no One Team To Rule Them All...
    Ok… What is a new player supposed to do to advance to mid-level? The old path required many, many hours, but there was one. I used the Strategy Guide and tried *very hard* to find an alternate path. In the end, I knew the game absolutely inside and out. I discovered some other team combos, but none got you there as fast and as certainly as Sabre/Infernus/Scorch. I went so far as to prove it by starting yet another alt account and seeing how fast I could get to Castle 9 without spending any money at all, focusing solely on developing those three fighters. I did it in about 6 weeks of playing a couple hours a day, most days, but not quite 7days/week. I was trying to simulate an enthusiastic but "normal" new player with a life. Look up the stats on that account. By my measure, that's a low mid-level account. Before the update, it was sufficient to start grinding out the orbs and WE tokens to round out the account and develop 10-12 level 50 elites, my estimate of what a "normal" player would like to achieve, (i.e. LobRowe, Technos, Magical, Morgan, other T20 players...).

Now, it's just far to difficult. I've spent ~ 5-6 hours playing ItsMrE since the update. I cannot win 5 Arena battles to earn the daily quest gems without waiting for my A team to revive several times. I cannot win 5 WE battles to earn the daily quest gems in the allotted 30 min. Sometimes I can't win *at all* with that account. And we're talking about me. Someone who has thousands of hours of experience and is tenacious to be kind, certifiably obsessive to be honest.

Keep in mind that this problem does not affect my Main. E the Free has 51 level 50 elites. This isn't about *me* at all. This is about retaining new players. In terms of making the game all that it promises to be and all that it can be, it will never be either of those things if there are <100 regular players.

Marketing and app discovery issues in a hyper saturated market aside, I hope that KIZ has hard numbers on new players, retention, average spend and all the other important metrics. I do know this: "ItsMrE" with 5224 trophies, is ranked #71 as of today. What does that tell us? The game may have been too hard for the average mobile gamer before, now it is orders of magnitude harder. That cannot be good.

I have no idea of the politics, priorities and goals of KIZ wrt Might & Mayhem and it's been pointed out that it's none of my business. Absolutely true. I am *one* player. I am, however, the person who has spent the most time playing the game - by a huge margin - since Feb. Thousands of hours. If my experience and opinion matter at all, please hear me when I say that you are moving in the wrong direction.

• There absolutely *needs to be* a (sure-fire) way to advance at a reasonable pace. If someone at KIZ hasn't started from scratch and clawed their way to Castle 9 and 3-5 elites minimum without any developer cheats, shortcuts or spending any gems, someone needs to do that and track exactly how many hours it takes. I doubt you can dedicate a resource to that objective full-time, but I think it would be worth it to compare how long (someone) predicts that would take and the actual. I promise it will take multiple weeks of 8 hr days.

• Campaign mode is easier at the very start, but the clearly the curve is still too sharp. I hope you have the data on where new players are quitting. I spent about 5 hours and gave up.
    Last edited by Matt A-Row; 08-29-2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: last 2 points were off-topic, belong in another thread